Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Home

It feels so strange, but I've been home for a week as of today. I don't know where the time went for the past two weeks, but as I sit here I can look back at everything and wouldn't have wished it any other way. My laptop decided to die about a week and a half ago, but thankfully I had everything done for class. We had our last excursion that Friday to the mountains and we couldn't have asked for a better day. I even broke out the one pair of shorts I brought with me. The area is a national park, called the Cerro del Puerc, but it also is a battlefield of the Spanish Civil War and part of the movie Pan's Labyrinth was filmed in the forest area. We hiked up to see some of the remains of the war and to see an incredible view before heading back for finals that last week. I think they went alright, but I'm glad they're over! We had a dinner our last night with everyone, so it was nice to be able to say goodbye all at once. 

Loving the Warm Weather

After about ten hours on an airplane and about sixteen hours total travel and airport time, I made it safely back to Chicago last Wednesday afternoon. Even though I was sad to leave, it was a great feeling to land back on U.S. soil after being gone for three and a half months. It was about a four or five hour trip back home after getting stuck in downtown Chicago rush hour traffic, but it was nice to be home in Michigan. 

One Last Group Picture

I've learned so much and am so thankful for everything I was able to do and see. As I wrap up this blog, I'd like to end with my top five travel tips I've learned from this experience: 


1. Take lots of pictures from every place, with you in the picture. You can always look up pictures of the places you've been, but you can't Google pictures of you in all of those places. Seriously, just take the picture. 
Big Ben Personal Edition

2. English is pretty universal, but that doesn't mean you'll always find it. It's so helpful to know at least one other language anywhere you go, even if it's not the official language of that country. It's pretty rewarding to talk to someone in both of your second languages and be able to communicate. 

Anybody Know Greek?

3. Be open to trying new things. Odds are pretty good you won't like Spanish blood rice, but that doesn't mean that there aren't interesting foods you'll love (like flan!). You'll have great stories to tell of all the different things you tried, not just food related either.

Remember that volcano tour we took in Santorini
or what about that dolphin boat ride in Tenerife?

4. Accept the fact that you're going to get lost. Take the free map. Your map reading skills will improve by wonders, and you'll also learn not to be afraid to ask for directions really fast with or without the map.

Planning is Everything

5.  Have fun, enjoy, and it'll go by way too fast. Before you know it, you'll be back home with great memories, fun times, new friends, and wanting to travel all over again. It's never goodbye, it's see you later.